Job Title: Site Chemist
INTRODUCTION TO WASTECARE
Established in 1980, the WasteCare Group now employs over 500 people based at 9 regional service centres and 7 recycling facilities throughout the UK. We collect and recycle over 200,000 tonnes of hazardous and difficult waste, on behalf of over 20,000 organisations annually throughout the UK. We’ve been recently listed in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 for companies with the fastest growing profit and we’re looking to set our sights even higher in 2019.
Our growth and success are due to our commitment to providing our clients with a first-class service combined with the highest environmental standards. As a private company, we are continually investing in innovative technology and sustainable growth. This has enabled us to combine a deep understanding of our clients’ requirements with a uniquely flexible service that can be readily tailored to any organisational requirement, within an evolving market and ever-changing regulation.
To drive our growth, we are always looking for the best talent to join our teams across all our divisions. We are currently looking for an experienced Site Chemist to join our team in Kent.
The waste industry is highly regulated and complex, we set our standards higher than those mandated by legislation and embrace technology to improve service levels to our customers. We pride ourselves on transparency and simplicity, we are fair to our customers.
This is an opportunity with long term great personal development opportunities, we invest heavily in training and personal development as we want you to get to grips with the waste industry to push us further so we can constantly improve.
We’re a large business with a small business ethos and the role reflects this, so expect to be challenged and take on a wide variety of projects at any given time.
- Inspecting and accepting in-coming loads in accordance with the sites waste management licence. Making sure where appropriate all drums are sampled and analysed in the onsite laboratory.
- Ensuring loads are labelled and described in accordance with ADR and paperwork is completed correctly in-line with current legislation.
- Preparing blend recipes for high temperature Incineration
- Consolidating incoming loads ensuring complete traceability is kept of material onsite.
- Completing non-conformance reports and completing incoming acceptance analysis.
- Completing wet chemistry analysis & general laboratory work for incoming samples and any samples from on-site production
- Maintain good house-keeping standards in the laboratory and ensure equipment is calibrated where appropriate and in good working order. Ensuring the lab is sufficiently stocked and re-ordering consumables where appropriate.
- Ensure good records are kept of all sampling completed in the laboratory for all wastes.
- Ensuring good waste storage procedures onsite in line with HSG 71.
- Working closely with the site chemists and site management to improve operating procedures.
- Ensuring good working practice and adherence to company health and safety policy.
- Ensure safe and compliant handling and disposal of Hazardous Waste
- Ensure waste acceptance and sampling is completed in line with sector guidance and sampling records are kept as well as completion of paperwork and any associated non-conformances.
- Knowledge of the waste industry
- PASSIONATE – We’re the best & most forward thinking waste management company because we care about our colleagues and our customers. You’ll be passionate about delivering an exceptional service.
- PROVOCATIVE & CHALLENGING – we’re always looking to improve and don’t always see the best way
- DETERMINED – Things aren’t always easy and change is hard, but we need to keep evolving. You’ll want to see things through to completion, even when the going gets tough.
- GROUNDED – We’re down to earth and straight talking, this isn’t a glamourous industry but it is fascinating and you’ll need to be comfortable dealing with a wide range of personalities.
- INTELLIGENT – Our business is complicated and you’ll need to be able to pick things up quickly, even when they’re new concepts.
- A genuinely interesting, varied and fast-moving work environment
- Generous holiday allowance
- Death in service benefit
- Contributory pension scheme